MEGALITHIC MONUMENTS
         OF IRELAND.COM
CLONTYGORA CAIRN
CLONTYGORA CAIRN, COUNTY ARMAGH
This cairn, marked on the OS map as ‘Chambered Grave’, was excavated by E. Evans in
1966. The site consists of a single chamber, 2.3m in length by 1.75m in width, two
matching portal stones 1m in height that mark the entrance at the NE and sides formed
by single stone slabs 0.71m in max; height. At the SW end were two jamb stones, 1.4m
in height, with a low sill-stone between them. When excavated, the cairn was 8m NW-
SE by 9.5m NE-SW. Examination of the chamber revealed a loose stone packing, below
which was a clay floor with some worked flints, fragments of cremated human bone &
some sherds of western Neolithic pottery. William C. Borlase in his book, ‘The
Dolmens of Ireland’ (1897 - Vol. 1 p. 304), mentions the cairn along with the court
tomb nearby. He writes “ In the Town-land of Clontygora, and Parish of Killevy, was a
dolmen-cairn marked Carn and Cromlech in Ord. Surv. Map No. 29. It is W. of the
Canal and the Newry River, about five miles S. of Newry”.
CO-ORDINATES
54 6’ 54.121”N…6 19’ 18.178”W
NISMR:-ARM 029:012
Hosting by Aabaco Web Hosting