MEGALITHIC MONUMENTS
        OF IRELAND.COM
DOOGHMAKEON OGHAM STONE
DOOGHMAKEON OGHAM STONE,COUNTY MAYO.
Hosting by Aabaco Web Hosting
This cross inscribed ogham stone was first discovered in 1897 by W.E.Kelly. A local
priest, Father McManus, re-erected the stone, which was then lying flat on the
scrub-covered sand hills, where it now still stands. It is a blue, limestone slab
measuring 1.32m in height, 0.61m in width and 0.15m in depth. The pocked inscription
reads '--OVI MAQI--' and on one face there is a cross pattee, in a circle. The stone is
known locally as 'Claidhimhin Chathasaigh' or 'St. Cathasach's Little Sword' and is
regarded as a swearing stone.
CO-ORDINATES
53 44' 31.9"N...9 53' 37.774"W