|St. Clydau's Latin/Ogham Stone II (The Eternus Stone)
|The Eternus Stone
The inscription reads ETERNI FILI VICTOR and translates as Eternus the son of
Victor. The inscriptions partially repeat in ogham script, but the stone has been
recycled at least once and the top, where part of the ogham inscription would have
been is gone. Eternus is thought to have died in the early 7th century, so he was
contemporary with St. David, but outlived him. His birth might have been toward
the end of St. Clydai’s lifetime.
The stone itself is spotted Dolerite from Carn Menyn, which was also use for the
Bluestone Circle of Stonehenge in Wiltshire. In recorded history, historian J O
Westwood first mentions the three stones in 1860. Richard Rolt Brash visited the
church and drew them in 1874, at which time the Eternus Stone was built into the
north wall of the churchyard as a mount for a sundial. One has to wonder about the
utility of a sundial on the north side of a building nearly 52 degrees north.
Inside church, standing against West wall of nave.