|St. Clydau's Latin Inscribed Stone (The Solinos Stone)
|The Solinos Stone
The inscription reads SOLINI FILIUS VENDONI and translates as Solinus son of
Solinus owned land (called the field of the stone) near the church part of which is
now the churchyard extension. This stone probably gave the field its name but
whether it originally served to mark his property or his grave is a matter of
conjecture. He died in 432 AD, so a generation or two before Clydai’s association
with the site. His association with the area may have been part of its attraction, as
he accompanied Palladius on an evangelising mission to Ireland a year before he
died. Palladius was appointed Bishop to Ireland by the Pope in 431 AD and Solinus
is recorded as one of his companions, who remained in Ireland after Palladius. In
recorded history, historian J O Westwood first mentions the three stones in 1860.
Richard Rolt Brash visited the church and drew them in 1874, at which time the
Solinus Stone formed part of the lych gate. That gate was replaced by the current
arched structure during the 1876 restoration.
Inside church, standing against West wall of nave.