|KNOCKEEN PORTAL TOMB
|PHOTO by Pip POWELL
|This is one of those very rare portal tombs which has 2 capstones incorporated into the
structure and is constructed of local stone. Situated on a gentle south facing slope,
300m north of a head water of the John's River, this portal tomb is sited facing
north-west, uphill and built into the wall of the church graveyard that surrounds
Knockeen church and is marked on the OSI map as "Cromlech". The tomb is complete
with two capstones, two portal stones, two side stones, a back stone and a door stone.
The large rectangular upper capstone, measuring 4m in length, 1.9m in width and
1.4m in depth, rests on the portal stones, which measure 2.45m in height, and the lower
capstone. The lower capstone, which measures 1.8m in length, 2.4m in width and
0.60m in depth, rests on the side stones and the back stone. Between the portal stones is
an almost full height door stone which measures 2.1m in height and blocks the long
elongated chamber that measures 3m in length, 1.50m at the entrance and 0.50m at the
rear. The tomb was first recorded in 1864 by Du Noyer.
52 12' 26.10"N...7 9' 30.12"W